Saturday, July 27, 2013

SALVAGING SELVAGE

Front
I've been saving my selvages for sometime now, intent on creating a bag from them. I finally did it last week. Opted for a simple tote bag. Turned out well, for my first shot at selvage-fabric-making. It's time consuming, building the selvage fabric, but I have to admit that it was fun to do.

Back
I've seen lots of things made from selvage on the internet. They look a lot more uniform. Probably because they use the same type of fabric for their quilting fabrics, so their selvages are similar. Since I use so many different types of fabrics, mostly rescued from local thrift shops, my selvages were all over the place in terms of style, width, and what was printed on them. Also, since I use smaller pieces in my bag designs, I had to piece some selvages together to make them long enough, and selvages from different sides of the fabric don't always match in width, or is that depth.

Anyway, I pushed on and am happy with the results. Here's pics of front and back. The lining is from the same striped fabric as the tote's bottom and handles.



No comments:

Post a Comment